Tuesday, September 14, 2010

.. Happy Birthday 姐姐!!! ..


This is my most awesome 姐姐.... MADELINE CHUA!!

Supposed to blog this yesterday... but anyway, here it is!

My BIG sister. As you can see from the picture, always full of funny poses and patterns! HAHA...

We are 1 and a half years in age apart.. thus explain why we shared really close relationship, and I really REALLY look up to her a great deal! She is my role model, my INSPIRATION!

When we were younger, we played together, we grew up together, we fought, we quarreled! She bit my foot when I was just a baby! LOL... It was so funny. But yet, as we grew up and matured more, we fought lesser. Talked more. Shared more.

We were in the same primary school: Radin Mas Primary School. I remembered how people would not dare to bully me because my sister was FIERCE! Haha. I felt so protected then.

Then we grew up. There was a period of time where we don't shared that much? Can't remember much of it now... But I will definitely remember, how her life changed when she started attending City Harvest Church. We were from a taoist background, and I was quite a religious person. I wore a 50 cents sized pendant of the goddess of mercy around my neck! HAHA. Thank God I'm wearing a cross now!

I still remembered how she would always share with us about God. And I also remembered once, how I talked back to her and said, if your God is so powerful, then ask Him to do this lah! I saw the hurt on her face, and I really regretted so much after that! I used to be like that! Tactless! Lousy attitude! Stupid! HAHA... and my pride caused me to reject God!

But, Madeline! She never gave up! Her constant testimonies started to open up my heart towards God. I started to think, if this God is really so good? Really so amazing, like what she always shared??

It was really the change in her life that caused me to be interested in this God. I followed her to church one day, but was stunned by the environment I saw that day. It was during the Holy Laughter season, and I was shocked by the response I seen in the people. To me it all seen so fake leh. I was cynical. But something that also struck me was, the passion I saw in the people. A kind of passion I don't get to see in my "religion" then.

I didn't respond to God that day. I needed more time. But Mad asked me to go again the next week. In my heart I was thinking, huh.. see how first. HAHA. But, she is such a good sister lah. So I also felt obligated to go, so as not to disappoint her... I don't like to see her disappointed leh.

Anyway, something amazing also happened during that week leading up to my 2nd church visit. I will always remember. Cos it was the first time I made a vow to this GOD. I used to be a CRAZY Manchester United fan. Really CRAZY. When they lost a match, I would be so depressed! Especially if it was against rivals like Liverpool and Arsenal! That night it was the UEFA Champions final. Man U was down by 1 goal and it was the final 10 mins. I was so desperate and I had a thought about praying to God! I prayed and said, God, can you let Man U win this match? If they win, I will go to church this Sunday! And guess what?? Man U really won!! They scored 2 goals within 90 secs in the dying mins...... I was stunned, really stunned. I was thinking, this must be a coincidence!!! I even have thoughts about nah... can't be God. But then, a holy kind of fear also lingered in my heart. I knew I had made a vow, and being a "religious" person, I knew that I must honor that vow!

So I went to church again that Sunday! It was May 30, 1999. I dragged myself out of bed.... really don't feel like going to church. HAHA. But Mad made sure that I got out of the house with her.... It was raining heavily when we reached Paya Lebar. We shared an umbrella......... and while walking, I slipped and fell! I felt sooooo angry man! And had a thought, I want to go home! HAHA. But then Mad helped me up, I felt that cannot lah... I already promised her and we were so near to church already! How can I do that?.....

And YES, that was also the day I gave my heart to GOD! I had an encounter with God. With many people being ministered by God and laughing away.... I told God, if you are really real, let me experience the holy laughter then? I remembered we were holding hands and praying together. Mad on one side, Jace (my sec school good mate) on the other side. And, I broke into holy laughter!

Okkkkkk.... to cut the story short. That was how I came to believe in God. But it's true that our faith in God cannot be relied just on miracles alone. Cos miracles don't happen always, and if we need miracles to sustain our faith, it will be gone! Like what Jesus says, blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

I will forever be thankful to Madeline for bringing me to God. She is the first in our household, and praise God! Today, we are all Christians, and still praying and believing for our dad's salvation someday!

Not just my family, she has also brought many others to Christ. She has impacted so many lives!!

Mad sharing testimony on stage!

Oh no, this blog is getting so long! HAHA but there are just so many things to write!

I am really thankful to Mad. She has been such a giving person all these years.

Too many things to thank her for! But I want to give thanks especially in these areas:

1. For her love all these years. Her encouragements, her blessings, her companionship!

2. For blessing me to take driving lessons so that I can have a driver's license now!

3. For being my role model, and I have the dream and desire to do well in the banking industry just like her!

4. For encouraging me to pursue my degree dream. If not for her, I won't even be here right now. If she didn't remind me to continue my advanced diploma in 2008, I don't know when will I be taking it!

5. For lending her financial support to carry out the dreams I have.

Of course of course!! With all these I also want to thank my most wonderful and amazing 姐夫!!! Two are indeed better than one! HAHA. Cos combined power and finances. I thank God for such a godly man. Our family is indeed blessed to have him. Mad is blessed! But I know she is blessed because she herself is amazing as well! God is indeed good and He never shortchanges!! :)

Yea... my heart is eternally thankful and grateful.

Thank God for blessing me and Wen with such an amazing sister!

I pray for such greater days ahead for you JIE JIE! I LOVE YOU!

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Continue to be such an inspiration to all of us!! You are a legend!

WOOHOO! GOD IS GOOD!!!!

LIFE IS GREAT!! I also want to be such a legend like Madeline!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday Madeline!

Hi Elaine, I like what you wrote, esp, " miracles don't happen always, and if we need miracles to sustain our faith, it will be gone! Like what Jesus says, blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." thanks for sharing :)