Monday, September 06, 2010

.. Ethics Debate ..

Just got back from a discussion with my group mates on the debate preparation that's going to take place tomorrow.

The topic is on should Same-Sex Marriage be legalized in Australia? And we are on the opposing side.

It seems a very difficult side to debate, because same-sex marriage is a human rights issue.

It's the first time for me learning to debate on something without using the Word of God as my source of reference. Cultural differences also play a very significant role, cos to the western culture, they see marriage not as sacred as we Asians see. My tutor, a Londoner, is definitely one supporting gay marriage. And he "warned" us a couple of times not to use "God" and religion as our reasonings. I think he has a very wrong mindset about who God is. And I'm praying that someday, he will come to know the true nature of God and come to believe in Him... :)

Anyway, back to the debate. It's really a good learning experience for me. As I do the research about it, (something that I would not have the "diligence" to do it if not for the debate), I realized of the great impact and implications it would have on the society as a whole.

Human rights. How far can it and should it really go?

If God has not given us this right, would the world be like what it is today?

But yet God has given us this right.

Lots of reflection to think about.......

I thank God for giving us the right to choose. And I also pray that I will always choose to do the right thing as I learn to lean on His wisdom.

Having human rights doesn't necessarily always mean good, cos human makes bad choices and decisions at times.

But one thing I'm sure, the Word is definitely true and speaks accurately of the many results of our society today.

I've also learnt to accept and receive the many diverse cultures and values. Though I don't agree with them, learning to receive them enlarges my viewpoint and acceptance of differences.

Hmmm. I pray for a good debate session tomorrow. I'll be one of the 2 speakers in my group! :)

Lord, help my group. Help me. :)

1 comment:

Y.A.S.I.G.E. said...

You can do it! May the wisdom of God be with you!